A passion for all things creative has seen Bernardine Hine on a journey full of art and craft her whole life. It was only a matter of time before her love of sewing and painting would collide and merge into becoming a textile artist.
She creates both large scale pieces in quilt form and small free motion embroidered studies, focusing on nature and the beauty of undisturbed areas of the Sunshine Coast as the theme for her work using a realistic style. Her works are created with fabric dyes, paints and a wide array of threads. Some are cut and assembled collage style and others are a whole cloth painted and stitched. All stitching is done by free motion on the sewing machine. Viewers often do not realise her small works are embroidered until they take a closer look.
Bernardine has exhibited extensively and has a long list of awards and achievements to her name. Her work has been recognised across Australia and in the United States.
She teaches regularly sharing her knowledge and skills with others.
Recent Awards & Achievements
- 2017 Best Use of Dyes and Pigments – Quilt NSW Show, Sydney
- 2017 2nd Place Pictorial – Quilt NSW Show, Sydney
- 2017 Judges Choice – Quilt NSW Show, Sydney
- 2017 Juried Entry – Australian Quilt Convention challenge “Flora & Fauna”
- 2016 3rd Place Pictorial – Qld Quilters Quilt Show, Brisbane
- 2016 3rd Place Professional Small Quilt – RNA Quilts Across Qld, Brisbane
- 2016 1st Place Open Art Quilt – RNA Quilts Across Qld
- 2015 Juried Entry – World Quilt & Textile, U.S.A.
- 2015 3rd Place Open Art Quilt – RNA Quilts Across Qld, Brisbane
- 2015 1st Place Pictorial – Qld Quilters Quilt Show, Brisbane
- 2014 Best of Country (Australia) -World Quilt & Textile Competition, U.S.A.
- 2014 1st Place Viewer’s Choice – Mountain Quilters Club Biennial Quilt Show, Peachester
- 2013 Viewer’s Choice – Australian Quilt Convention Challenge “Free”
- 2014 3rd Place Open Art Quilt -RNA Quilts Across Qld, Brisbane
- 2014 Best use of Colour – RNA Quilts Across Qld, Brisbane
- 2014 2nd Place Art/Pictorial Professional – Qld Quilters Quilt Show, Brisbane
- 2014 3rd Place Professional Small Quilt – RNA Quilts Across Qld, Brisbane
- 2014 Juried Entry (invitational only) – Australian Quilts Special Exhibit – European Patchwork Meeting, Alsace, France
- 2014 Judges Commendation – NSW Quilters Guild Show, Sydney
- 2014 Juried Entry – Australian Quilt Convention Challenge “Ten”
- 2016 Exhibited with the Textile Art Group at the “Nature as Designer 3” exhibition at the Hub Gallery, Caboolture
- 2015/16 Exhibited with local artists at the “A Little Piece of the Sun” exhibition at Vianta Arts, Beerwah
- 2015 Exhibited with the Textile Art Group at the “Threads of Nature” exhibition at Aspire Gallery, Paddington, Brisbane
- 2010 Exhibited with the Textile Art Group at the “Nature as Designer” exhibition at the Graydon Gallery, New Farm, Brisbane
- 2008 Exhibited with the Textile Art Group at the “Many Voices, Common Thread” exhibition at Pine Rivers Regional Art Gallery, Strathpine
- 2004 Exhibited with the Textile Art Group at the “Art in Textiles” exhibition, Redcliffe Art Gallery, Redcliffe
- Caboolture Agricultural Show 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016 & 2017 – Quilt Sections.