Don was born and raised in the beautiful countryside of southeast England and emigrated to Australia in the early 1960’s. His early life in Australia was spent in the very pleasant Georges River/Botany Bay area of Sydney.
He took early retirement from Coles Myer in 1997 after working for them for 34 years – the last 20 years spent in the planning and design section as Project Manager of Property Development.
Having spent many years at the drawing board he has always had a love for drawing and art. With the extra time on his hands he quickly became interested in line drawing and pen and wash. Love of this medium soon led him to following and studying the wonderful detailed works of Gold Coast artist Brin Jones. At this time he also completed a drawing course with the Griffith University OCA (Open College of the Arts).
His love for other mediums quickly developed and he took up watercolours for which he soon started weekly tuition and attended many workshops with leading artists. In March 2001 he spent a wonderful week painting with leading artist Tony Lewis in the Coromandel district of New Zealand.
Oil painting is also very much enjoyed and he has had tuition from artists Brian Allison, Kevin Oxley, John Wilson and Kasey Sealy. Watercolour tuition with Greg Allen, Ross Patterson and Joseph Zbukvic has greatly influenced his work.
Don is currently on the committee of the Sunshine Coast Art Group as Art Leader, a position he has held for some years and is a member of the Bribie Island Art Group, Queensland Watercolour Society and the Queensland Arts Council. In 2005 he joined the Artists Cooperative which operates and exhibits paintings at Seaview Gallery, Moffat Beach.
He has sold many paintings which hang throughout Australia and in the U.K.
Don’s awards include:
- Maryborough Heritage City 2003 Art Festival – Prize winner, Watercolour.
- Woodford Art Festival 2003 – People’s Choice
- Kenilworth Art Expo 2004 – 1st Prize Watercolour Landscape.
- NanArt Nanago Art Expo 2006 – 1st Prize Watercolour & H.Com. Oil
- Mackay Art Expo 2006 – Prize Winner Watercolour
- Hervey Bay Art Exhibition 2006 – 1st & 2nd Prize Watercolour
- Sarina Art Expo 2007 – 1st Prize Traditional Oil/Acrylic
- Bundaberg Art Show2007 – People’s Choice, Highly Commended Landscape
- Woodford Art Festival 2007 – 1st Prize Watercolour
- Nanart Nanango Art Expo 2008 – 1st Prize Traditional Oil
- The Town of 1770 Art Expo 2009 – 1st Prize Watercolour.
- Blackwater Art Exhibition 2009 – 1st Prize Watercolour
- The Town of 1770 Art Show 2010 – 1st Prize Watercolour
- The Town of 1770 Art Expo 2011 – Prize Winning Watercolour.
- Nanart Nanango Art Expo 2011 – Prize Winning Traditional Oil
- Hervey Bay Art Exhibition 2011 – Prize Winning Oil Flora & Fauna
62 Karawatha Street, Buderim 4556
Phone: 07 5478 0421
Click to send