Gaynor Hardinge was born in Brisbane and raised on pineapple farms on the Sunshine Coast and at Yeppoon on the Central Queensland coast. She enjoyed drawing and painting from an early age and is mainly self-taught.
She married in 1970 and lived overseas for many years in several countries raising a family while her interest in art was ‘put on hold’. However, while living in Singapore in 1981, she studied watercolour painting for 2 years under well-known Singaporean artist Ong Chye Che and later, after returning to live on the Sunshine Coast, creative drawing under Mavis Herriotts, former teacher at the Shillito School of Design in Sydney.
Gaynor has attended workshops with Graham Readshaw , Michael Winters, Alvaro Castagnet, George Williamson, Neil Frazer, Irene Amos and Victor Majzner among others. She has participated in many group exhibitions and has won several art awards for her acrylics, watercolours and mixed media paintings.
She enjoys experimenting with all mediums although her favourites are acrylic, watercolour and pastel. She is an exhibiting member of the Half Dozen Group of Artists of Kangaroo Point, Brisbane. She joined Caloundra Artists Association, a group of 10 artists with their outlet at Seaview Artists Gallery at Moffat Beach, Caloundra in 1996.
Gaynor is also the illustrator of a series of popular child safety books featuring Stumpy, the Wombat, and his friends and was commissioned by the South Australian Government to illustrate a story book for their Safety House program.
- 1983 Sunshine Coast Art Group – Local Artist Section – Very Highly Commended
- 1984 Sunshine Coast Art Group – Watercolour Section – First Prize
- 1987 Sunshine Coast Art Group – Mixed Media Section – Highly Commended
- 1987 Caloundra Arts and Crafts Festival – Watercolour Section – First Prize
- 1987 Caloundra Arts and Crafts Festival – Mixed Media Section – Highly Commended
- 1998 Seaview Gallery, Caloundra – “Black and White”
- 1999 Galloways Gallery, Brisbane – “Four” with Betty Eastman, Janet Matthews, and Mabs Vandenberg
- 1999 Seaview Gallery, Caloundra –“ Birthday Suits”
- 2000 Seaview Gallery, Caloundra – “ Creativity on Paper”
- 2001 Caloundra Regional Art Gallery – “Turning Point”
- 2003 Seaview Gallery, Caloundra – “Carnarvon Gorge” with Janet Matthews and Jo Murray
- 2004 Seaview Gallery, Caloundra – “Cape Tribulation, On the Fringe of the Forest” With Janet Matthews and Jo Murray
- 2005 Seaview Gallery, Caloundra – “Living in the Sun” with Janet Matthews and Jo Murray
- 2006 Wondaishire Art Gallery, Wondai – with Janet Matthews and Jo Murray
- 1988 De Vere Gallery, Maroochdore
- 2005 Caloundra Regional Art Gallery – “Specifically Pacific”